Nikon School - Introduction to Digital SLR Photography

In one of my earlier posts I wrote that I will be attending the Nikon School of Photography. Well, today I completed the "Introduction to Digital SLR Photography" class at the Pennsylvania Hotel in New York. Are you ready? What did I really get for my hard earned $119.00? Here it comes... An Introduction to Digital Photography.

The class is exactly how Nikon describes it - "an ideal starting point". You sit through 7 hours of an overview to Digital Photography. To my surprise, 248 people attended. I would not recommend the class to the intermediate and certainly not to the pro photographers. However, if you are a beginner who has never dealt with a Digital SLR and are not the type to read through manuals, I strongly recommend sitting through the class. If you are slow and are only now switching from film to digital, it is probably a good idea to check them out. The instructors, Nick Didlick and Bill Durrence were brilliant and both highly recognized photographers. Bill is an excellent speaker as well, and has been teaching for over 30 years. He managed to turn the 7 hour class (there were two breaks and lunch, which was provided) into an entertaining and informative session. He also does private lessons and workshops. Check out his upcoming photo adventure - Tanzania Photo Safari.

I won't go into details but will say that the class covers basic techniques, shutter speeds, aperture, Nikon menu options, Nikon lenses, light, composition, framing, cropping, Nikon editing software as well as browsers, and backup solutions.

10 things I walked away with?
1. Composition pointers.
2. A better understanding of White Balance options.
3. A better understanding of the VR option on Nikkor lenses.
4. A stronger understanding of shutter speeds.
5. Importance of shooting RAW images.
6. Panning techniques.
7. Auto mode is actually an Auto PhD mode where PhD stands for "push here dummy".
8. A Nikon Calendar and study materials.
9. A Nikon School of Photography class completion certificate.
10. The satisfaction of having to pick a brain of Nikon Pros and having tested the best of Nikon cameras: D3, D3x, D700 (which I own), D90 and my favorite lenses: 50mm, 70-200mm and the 70-300mm.

See you all tomorrow after the Advance class of "Color, Light, Technology".

Comments

  1. Enjoyed taking the Nikon class with you today. Thanks for enduring my chatter! Your comments were spot on, and I think the course was ideal for someone with my relative level of (in)experience.

    Cheers
    Kenny L
    Middletown NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and your comment. It was a pleasure meeting you as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts