Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S

On February 26, 2009 I purchased the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S lens from the B&H store in NY. I used the lens minimally in the last month and on March 22, 2009 I began to have problems. When I was researching the lens I came across bad reviews, not in the actual image quality it produced but rather the built quality of it. You can read some of them on Amazon. Even though I was aware of the potential problem I purchased the lens and was at first very excited and satisified with the results it produced. It is, after all, also known as one of the best Nikon lenses ever made. However, I have found the lens to be somewhat soft and most recently unable to focus. I have also gotten the grinding noise people described and as stated above, worse, the inability to focus on objects when in AF mode. Manual focus works fine. This is somewhat disappointing, to say the least. When you pay $1,800.00+ for a piece of glass, you expect it to work and work flawlessly. This is not the case.

As the lens is under Nikon warranty, I have sent it to Nikon for service. What I am really hoping that they will replace the lens since it is clearly defected. I would really hate for them to just fix the one I sent and send it back. The bottom line is, I just need the lens to work. However, it would still be nice to have a brand new working lens and not a refurbished one.

So, for those of you looking to buy this lens, be careful. The problem is real and can cost you at least two weeks of wait as well as costs involved of sending the lens to Nikon.

I will let you know the outcome of this situation when I receive answer from Nikon and my lens back.

Comments

  1. Thanks Irene for the advice, I received my lens last week from B&H. Although I have yet to experience the grinding, I have had some focusing
    problems with my D700. I will continue to monitor
    the performance of this lens. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, please do let me know how you find your D700. I too have the D700 and haven't had any focusing problems with it. Curious to find out how your future shooting will do. Also, if you can send a link to some samples, it would be greatly appreciated. I by the way, have not, had any further problems with the 24-70mm as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have a D700 + 24-70mm f/2.8 lense. The images are very soft. I also tried in a D90 body and saw same results.
    Zhiman (May 2010)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts